i always assume people question my like bc i'm black or young... probably a lil bit of both. i was talkin to my mentor last weekend about how i wanted to go to ny for the 9 to 5 opening, & even he was shocked! he used to be my 10th grade marketing teacher so he knows a lot about me/seen me grow etc. but guess not enough...for those who REALLY know me there shouldn't be any surprise that i like dolly bc i'm in LOOOOVE w/ music.
anywho to the matter at hand. why i like her:
- she's honest about the work she's had done... regardless of if you like how she looks or not, she does & she pays for it, so what can you really say?
- she's made somethin outta nothin. she came from very humble beginnings to super successful with a charity, amusement park, business, etc... most importantly never forgot where she came from & gives back
- she's 63 & still energetic, relevant & an all around entertainer w/ a capital "e"
- her sense of humor is great! can't remember which magazine now, but she was voted the most quotable women like 1 or 2 years ago
- she's been married to her husband for 43 yrs! i think that's crazy, especially how high profile she is (but i guess bc he's super low profile it balances out)
- most people who have somethin to say about her only know her by her cleavage & have never heard a single song. her fast songs are fun, but i like her slow songs better bc they're more soulful. also, lyrically she's very solid (i.e. backwoods barbie lyrics). whether she's doing a silly, down home act or changing her voice to sound like a little girl or incorporating a gospel twang thing, it always comes off right & works well for her.
- think she's strong. regardless of the crap people talk about her, she doesn't change & she continues to work hard, write, sing, act, compose, etc... and at the end of the day you have to respect her.
ps- i like johnny cash too. don't think folks know that, wonder if i'd get the same "YOU like HIM" response?!